Odeo Distress LED Flare (eVDSD).
Daniamant is proud to introduce the ODEO Distress Flare as the next generation of Electronic Visual Distress Signal Device (eVDSD). As the world starts to embrace LED technology in place of traditional pyrotechnic flares Daniamant have built on the ground breaking ODEO Flare design and improved the product once more. New standards and regulations are still being discussed at the USCG and RTCM; these will result in an alternative standard to replace pyrotechnics.
Whilst this work proceeds in the background, Daniamant thought that our Customers should be able to take advantage of technology advances in the interim.
Traditional flares will illuminate for around 30 seconds before extinguishing, the Odeo Distress illuminates for around 8 hours at full illumination. Because no pyrotechnics are used, the Odeo product range is totally safe when switched off, and because it uses battery power (high power Lithium or Alkaline cells), it can even be safely posted or carried in baggage on flights. Beware that the Neoprene storage bag is supplied separately.
Whilst originally designed for marine use, its lightweight, safe performance means that it is incredibly useful for any outdoor activity. The smaller size makes the ODEO Distress ideal for mountaineering, skiing, kayaking, expeditions etc. – any activity that can benefit from the added safety and security of carrying a distress flare – without the unwanted dangers. The ODEO Distress small size and waterproof rating IP68 (50m) also makes it an ideal safety device for divers.
The Odeo Distress uses either 4 x L91 Lithium batteries or 4 x Alkaline batteries. These batteries have the required shelf life and power capacity and will operate over an extended temperature range.
The Odeo Distress is designed with consideration to SOLAS requirements, making it a genuine alternative to the pyrotechnic red hand held flare. The US Coast Guard is now leading the world in developing standards for electronic Visual Distress Signal Devices (eVDSD’s) as a replacement for the hand held pyrotechnic flare. The Odeo Flare™ also outputs an SOS signal during its flash pattern as described in Annex 4 to COLREGS, and is thus an internationally recognised distress signal.
- Part number - Tube pack 31-001A 31-003A
- Part number - Tube pack - No Batteries 31-005A
- Body colour: Orange
- Body material: ABS
- LED - Colour: Red
- IR Specification: 830nm, 10mW/sr x 5
- Horizontal plane coverage: Maximum: 90 cd /
- Minimum: 35 cd / Average: 63 cd
- Vertical beam: 35 cd
- Other directions: approx. 20 cd
- Detection Range: Minimum 3 nautical miles; up to 6 nautical miles in ideal conditions
- Batteries: 4 x AA L91 Lithium iron disulphide cells 4 x AA Alkaline cells
- Batteries - Daniamant Part Numbers: 49-115 30-119
- Battery - Marine use: Recommend battery change every year
- Water tightness: Tested to IP68 & 100 meters for 1 hour
- Operating temperature: -40 C to + 60 C -18 C to + 55 C
- Operating life: 9 hours at full illumination 3 hours at full illumination
- Drop test: 2 meters
- Weight - including batteries: Lithium 150g Alkaline 180g
- Floats: Yes