Altex Yacht & Boat Paint Epoxy Barrier Undercoat is a high performance, sandable epoxy high build coating which is both very corrosion and water resistant.
Epoxy Barrier Undercoat is recommended for:
- Topside & Superstructure final sealing to provide an optimum surface for finish coating
- As a high build surfacer to remove defects and achieve a finish suitable for application of Altex Polyurethane Undercoat or one of the Elite Polyurethane finish coats
- As a high build barrier coat for below waterline application, used as part of an Altex Antifouling system
- Direct application to sanded GRP, epoxy laminated wood and epoxy sealed wood
- Direct application to epoxy faired surfaces
- Application over Altex Epoxy Primer or Altex High Build Surfacer
- Priming / undercoating over degreased & sanded aged polyurethanes, epoxies, fairing systems, gelcoats, epoxy laminates & fibreglass
- Excellent build properties up to 150µm DFT in a two pass application
- Excellent surfacing and sanding properties
- Very good corrosion protection
- Wide maximum self re-coat times for easy project management
- Very good water and chemical resistance
- Epoxy Barrier Undercoat may be top-coated with both acrylic or polyester urethane finishes and is especially formulated as an undercoat or sealer under the Altex Elite® range of polyurethane finish coats
- May be used as a high build surfacer / undercoat for topcoating with Altex Polyurethane Undercoat
- May be used in immersion service as part of an Altex Yacht & Boat recommended system
- Colour: Off-White
- Mix Ratio: 4 to 1 by volume
- Thinner: Spray: Altex Thinning Solvent #12
- Brush/Roller: Altex Thinning Solvent #22
- Pot Life: 8 hours at 25°C
- Induction Time: 15 minutes.
- Theoretical Coverage Rate: 4.5 sq meters per litre at 100 microns dry
- Recommended Film Thickness Per Coat: 225-335 microns wet to obtain 100-150* microns dry (*applied in two passes)
- Application: Air or airless spray, brush or roller
- Dry Times (25°C / 100 µm DFT / 50% RH): Touch Dry: 90 mins. Dry to Sand: 6 hours
- Min. Self Recoat: 30 – 60 mins between passes. 6 hours between coats
- Max. Self Recoat: 5 days without sanding.
- Min. To Overcoat: 6 hours for Altex Polyurethane Undercoat
- Max. To Overcoat: 14 days with thorough sanding for Altex Polyurethane Undercoat Max. To Topcoat (see cure notes below).
- Undercover with Elite® Polyurethane Finish: 12 Days max - freshly sanded within 3 days of topcoating.
- Outside with Elite® Polyurethane Finish: 10 Days max - freshly sanded within 3 days of topcoating.
CURE TIME NOTES: Maximum cure times before topcoating are based on thorough fine sanding & dedusting within 3 days and solvent wiping of the surface immediately before application of any subsequent coats. (Dry to sand times will increase with higher film builds, and/or lower temperatures. Cure may be advanced by lightly sanding the partially cured surface with 120 grit to open the film up & allow solvents to escape.)
For more information, Product Data Sheets and MSDS. Please see https://altexboatpaint.com