Teleflex Seastar/Baystar . World's no.1 brand in Hydraulic Steering.
- SeaStar™ helm pump .
- SeaStar™ PRO Series front mount cylinder to suit engine – refer below.
- 2 x 15m 292997 semi-rigid nylon hose kit.
- 4 x nut and olive kit.
- 2 x 1 litre SeaStar Solutions® oil.
- Plus free oil filler kit.
Steering wheel not included - sold seperately. 3/4" tapered shaft fits most steering wheels.
Suits most outboards to 150HP. For twin outboards to 300hp each counter rotating or 225hp non counter rotating both with fluid link use our part no. #8029535 which also includes synchronistion valve. For single outboards to 300hp see also Seastar kit (our part no.291600)
Baystar front mount steering offers unmatched comfort and control. The worlds most popular outboard hydraulic system offers smooth, super efficient steering for today's high performance hulls with single or multiple outboards. 20% less effort at hard over than competitive brands. Ultra corrosion resistant materials are used throughout.
How it Works
The SeaStar/Baystar Hydraulic System
High-horsepower/high-speed boating is here and steering systems must perform at maximum capacity. The SeaStar Hydraulic Steering System is designed to provide that extra margin of muscle when needed and easily handles Outboard, Sterndrive and Inboard engines in boats up to 50 feet.
System selection, installation and service is substantially simplified with just three major components – helm, cylinder and tube or hose. SeaStar has a comprehensive range of available cylinders to handle a variety of Outboard, Sterndrive and Inboard steering applications. These are suitable for both pleasure and commercial applications. Extra steering stations and/or autopilots are easily added.
- Easy to install
- Only three components: helm, cylinder & tube or hose
- Compact and attractive helm design
- Variety of helm mounting configurations
- Simple tube/hose fitting connections
- Clear, complete installation instructions
- Easy to fill and purge
- Engineered bleed fittings on the cylinders
- A helm and lock valve design that enhances air removal
- A no-mess filler device
- A filling and purging time of normally less than 30 minutes
- Easy to check for proper installation
- Easy purging check via filler device
- No searching for difficult-to-find air leaks
- Easy to turn
- Anti-friction piston points
- Designed to provide many years of service…
- Precision built
- Heavy-duty bearings instead of bushings
- All metal construction
- No corrosive materials exposed to marine environment
- Field replaceable helm and cylinder shaft seals
- SeaStar! Simply the best!
SeaStar hydraulic steering systems are simple and efficient. The basic system consists of three main components:
1. The Helm Unit
The SeaStar helm pump is an axial piston pump specifically designed for manual steering. It has a built-in lock valve to prevent the steering load from feeding back to the driver. The lock valve will not allow the rudder or drive unit to move until you move it with the steering wheel. The lock valve section of the helm also includes a relief valve. This relief valve provides over-pressure protection for mechanical components and hydraulic hoses and fittings.
2. The Cylinder
The most important differences between the variety of SeaStar steering systems available is the cylinder selection. The SeaStar system has a cylinder for most steering applications.
3. Hoses and Tubes
Required to provide a path for the fluid to flow under pressure from the helm pump to the cylinder.
Pro Hydraulic Cylinder:
Kits now include the Seastar Pro front mount (bullhorn) hydraulic Cylinder and has been specifically designed and manufactured to increase feel and control of high performance outboard powered vessels that have a high level of wear and tear and are used frequently.
Key features of the Pro Cylinder include, heavier duty pivot plate bushes that reduce wear in harsh conditions and longer cylinder rod bushes which create a better seal on the end gland. The cylinder is more rigid due to the addition of the key ways on the support rod and support brackets. The patented ‘pivot’ mount design, utilised on the Pro Cylinder, guarantees continuous smooth, comfortable steering, and maximum effi
Pro Series Bull Horn mount cylinder and helm as the 300hp Seastar kit # 291600 but has a smaller displacement helm pump for a lower lock to lock ratio. 5.5 turns as opposed to 4.9 turns.
Note in some retro fit helm applications a back plate kit (our part no. 8021549) or a spacer kit (our part no. 8021516) may be required. In some applications also it requires the pivot plate to be flipped.
Note also in most applications 115-300hp Seastar kit can also be used (our part no. 291600). Difference being helm displacement (turn ratio) only. Baystar kit 5.5 turn ratio and Seastar kit 4.9 turn ratio.
30-150hp 1992 to date: ALL
30-150hp 1992 to date: ALL except 115-130hp 2010 to date which require alternative mount cylinder (see Smart Crew)
40-150hp 1991 to date: ALL, 115hp Ficht requires pivot plate to be flipped before install; 40-140hp 4-stroke 1998 to date requires #8021516 spacer kit and pivot plate flipped before install.
75-150hp 1984 to date: ALL except 150hp DFI Optimax and 150hp 3000cc 4 stroke (use our part no. 291600)
90-140hp 1990 to date: ALL
40-140hp 1986 to date; ALL .115-140hp 1987-2002; 40-70hp 1998 to date 4 stroke; 15-140hp 2001 to date all require spacer kit (our part no. #8021516);115-140hp 4 stroke 2001 to date also require the pivot plate flipped before install.
80-150hp 4-stroke and 2 stroke1997 to date; ALL except 40-60hp. 25-60hp 4 stroke 2000 to date and 70-90hp 2 stroke 1986 to date require spacer kit (our part no. #8021516). Some models mayuire pivot plate to be flipped before install.
Two easy steps to order your BayStar Steering kit:
1. Check helm dimensions: Cutout diameter 67mm; Maximum width of helm 113mm; Dash thickness (max) 45mm; Helm extrusion 149mm (including shaft extension).
- Easily installed to your existing console to create a professional finish.
- Easy front of console filling point for hydraulic oil.
- Simple purging process.
2. Check cylinder dimensions for splashwell fit: 534mm minimum splashwell width, 127mm minimum splashwell tilt clearance from bottom of tilt tube to bottom of splashwell.
(STEERING WHEEL NOT INCLUDED, SOLD SEPARATELY)